Help if you’re experiencing domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can take many forms and can happen to anyone, regardless of age, sex, disability, ethnicity or sexual orientation.  

It is estimated that one in four women and one in six men will experience domestic abuse in their lifetime. You’re not alone and we’re here to help. Find out more about what to do and where to find help if you or someone you know is experiencing abuse.  

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse means any incident, or patterns of incidents, between connected people aged 16 and above. By connected we usually mean a partner, ex-partner, or a family member (for example, elder abuse or adolescent to parent abuse).  

The abuse can be: 

  • Physical or sexual abuse. 
  • Violent or threatening behaviour. 
  • Controlling or coercive behaviour. 
  • Economic abuse. 
  • Psychological, emotional or other abuse. 

We have a dedicated team of specialist call handlers who’ve received additional training in domestic abuse. They’ll listen and take your concerns seriously. Our customer hub is open 8am to 8pm Monday-Friday.  

What action can you take?

Speak to us

Don’t suffer in silence – you’re not alone and we’re here to help you. You can use the form below or call us on 0300 123 3456 to speak with someone from our Resident Wellbeing Team. The action plan that we create will be created with your knowledge and input. 

Contact the police

We know that not everyone wants to report abuse to the police. But we do encourage you to do so and can support you with reporting if that would help. They’ll be able to talk to you about your options and what steps they can take to protect and support you. 

Get legal advice

We recommend that you get your own legal advice. This is particularly important for housing advice if you have a joint tenancy, are a joint leaseholder or joint homeowner with the person who is abusing you.  

You can contact Citizens Advice Bureau, Shelter or Rights of Women for advice and also find out if you can receive legal aid. 

Visit a safe space

UK SAYS NO MORE is working with pharmacies, such as Boots, Superdrug, Morrisons and Well pharmacies, banks and selected jobcentres across the UK to provide Safe Spaces in their consultation rooms for people experiencing domestic abuse. You can use a Safe Space in whichever way works for you. They provide a safe and discreet way to reach out to friends and family, contact specialist support services and start your journey to recovery.

We have Safe Spaces available at Darwin Court, Pembury Community Centre and The Nest. Find your nearest Safe Space. 


Contact a specialist domestic abuse service

Most boroughs have a dedicated service for people experiencing domestic abuse. Find your local authority to look up what local services there are in your area.  

If it’s safe to do so you may wish to download the Bright Sky app, to help you find support services near you. 

Some services are UK - wide, such as specialist services for male victims, or LGBT+ victims. These services usually provide a helpline number and some even have live chat functions. Visit our Support Finder for a list of local and national support available. 

By and for services

By and for services offer support provided by teams aligned with the people they're helping. For example, an organisation led by black women for other black women and their children. If you’re working with one of our specialists, they’ll include any contact with by and for services as part of your action plan.

Some services that could help you

There are many local and national services offering specialist support for people experiencing abuse, violence or trauma:

Refuge’s national 24-hour helpline supports women and children experiencing domestic abuse and offers confidential, female-led, and impartial advice.

The National Centre for Domestic Abuse gives free and immediate advice to help women obtain protection from perpetrators.

Galop works directly with thousands of LGBT+ people who have experienced abuse and violence every year.

Karma Nirvana supports victims and survivors of forced marriage and honour-based abuse. 

Southall Black Sisters provides advice and information on domestic abuse, racial harassment, welfare and immigration. 

Respond supports people with learning disabilities or autism who have experienced trauma and abuse. 

Stay Safe East helps deaf and disabled people experiencing domestic abuse and hate crime 

Sistah Space assists African and Caribbean heritage women affected by domestic and sexual abuse. 

IKWRO provides specialist support for Middle Eastern, North African (MENA) and Afghan women and girls living in the UK, who are at risk of honour-based abuse and other forms of violence against women and girls. 

ManKind Initiative assists male victims of domestic abuse by giving those affected direct support

Hourglass provides confidential services and gives information and support to any older person or anyone concerned about an older person who is at risk of, experiencing or recovering from any form of abuse or neglect. 

SignHealth has a specialist domestic abuse service to support deaf people in finding safety and security.

Get in touch if you need support

Alternatively, you can call us on 0300 123 3456 to speak with someone from our Resident Safety and ASB Hub.

In an emergency, please call the police on 999.

If you’re getting in touch about a neighbour that you’re concerned about, please use our Raise a concern form.

If you’re experiencing domestic abuse, please read our advice on how to stay safe online.

Your information

Someone from our Resident Safety and ASB Hub will get back to you within two working days or at the safe time you provide in this form. We’ll try a few times to get hold of you, but if we can’t, you may need to contact us again. We won’t leave you a voice message for your safety.

Just your first name is fine
Let us know what your concern is, how you’re currently feeling, and what support you’re seeking. Remember, if it’s an emergency, please call the police on 999.

How can we contact you safely? 

Usually the safest form of contact is by phone at a time when you’ll be alone. You can even give us a work or friend’s number. If you want to be contacted by email, consider whether you need to secure your account or device first.

Data protection

We take our data protection responsibilities seriously and collect, store and process data in line with data protection law. To find out more about how we use your personal information please visit our privacy policy statement.

What happens after you contact us?

Once you’ve contacted us a specialist from our Resident Safety and ASB hub will be in touch within two working days. They’ll assess your current situation and create an action plan with you. 

Your action plan

Your action plan will set out what steps we’ll take to investigate your case and how we’ll support you. We’ll provide you with a copy of this action plan if it is safe to do so. Some examples of action we can take include increasing the security at your home, advising you of your housing options and signposting you to other services that can help i.e. for civil orders, legal advice or counselling. 

Safer communication

We can meet you in private at our offices or, if you’d prefer, at a different agreed safe place such as a café or community centre. We’ll also agree how we can stay in touch with you in a safe way. If you need an interpreter, we can arrange this. 

Advice and information

We know that every case is different. We’ll advise you of what options you have, based on your individual circumstances. We’ll also offer to refer you a specialist domestic abuse service that meets your needs. 

Assessing the risks

With your cooperation, we’ll carry out a domestic abuse risk assessment with you. This helps us understand your situation better and to advise you of your options.

Keeping your information private

We won’t share your information with anyone without your permission unless there are serious concerns for your safety, or the safety of any children or other people, such as our colleagues or members of the public.


To make sure you get the right support we may work with other agencies such as Women’s Aid, Refuge, Victim Support, the police and local authorities. Where appropriate, we may also make a referral to a multi-agency risk assessment conference (MARAC).


We understand if you’re more comfortable talking about your case to someone who is the same sex as you. Please let us know if you want to speak to someone of the same sex and we will arrange this for you if we can.

Support Finder

Support Finder is the quick and easy way to find the help you need.