Electrical safety advice for residents

A large number of domestic fires are caused by electrical faults. So it’s vital to look after electrical equipment. Just because something works, doesn't mean it's safe.

To make sure your home is safe, you should inspect electrical fittings and equipment regularly to make sure they're in good condition.

How to make sure electrical equipment is safe:


  • Plugs should fit tightly into sockets.
  • Their casing should be free from cracks. 
  • Watch out for burn marks or signs of overheating.
  • The cable should be firmly secured in the plug.
  • None of the pins should be bent.
  • The cardboard label on the bottom of the plug should be removed.
  • Plugs shouldn't rattle.


  • Leads should be free from cuts, fraying and damage.
  • Don't use two- or three-way adaptors.
  • If you're using an extension lead, make sure it's fully uncoiled.


  • Sockets should be free from cracks or other damage.
  • Check them for burn marks and signs of overheating.
  • Make sure they're properly secured to the wall.
  • Make sure the switch works properly.


  • Check that your light fittings or lamp holders are not visibly damaged, scorched or corroded.
  • Check downlighters and their surroundings for signs of overheating such as curled labels and discolouration or scorching.

Consumer units and electricity meters

  • Don’t store combustible materials around your fuse box (consumer unit) and electricity meter.
  • Regularly test the RCDs (residual current devices designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch a live wire) in your fuse box by pressing the ‘test’ button every three months. When you press and release the ‘test’ button on the RCD/RCBO, the power should trip (shut itself off). If this doesn’t happen, Peabody tenants should let us know. Leaseholders and shareholders should contact a skilled electrician. Don’t forget, RCDs are there to protect you.

Carrying out electrical work yourself

You must have our permission before you carry out any electrical work in your home. And it must always be carried out by an electrician registered with the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC).

You can search for registered electricians in your area on the NICEIC website.

Man cleaning a pipe

Gas safety

Gas safety advice for residents.
Fire exit sign

Fire safety

Keeping our residents and buildings safe from fire.

Contact us

Got specific questions about Peabody? We’re always happy to help.