Helping our residents live independently

We know everyone’s needs are different. So we adapt our homes to help our customers live as independently as they can in their own home.

Minor aids and adaptations

We can arrange minor adaptations quite quickly. If you’re a social tenant, you can request the changes yourself or be referred by a family member, a care and support worker or your GP. Minor adaptations include things such as:

  • Grab rails
  • Stair bannisters rails
  • Lever taps.

Major aids and adaptations

You must make any requests for major adaptations to your Local Authority’s Social Services Occupational Therapy Team. The alterations can’t be structural, such as through-floor lifts or extensions, but usually include things such as:

  • Wet rooms
  • Ramped access
  • Stairlifts
  • Hoists
  • Wheelchair-adapted kitchens.

Disabled Facilities Grant for major adaptations

You can apply to your local authority for a means-tested grant (Disabled Facilities Grant) to help with the cost of adapting your home. If you’re successful, the adaptations will be made in line with the recommendations from the occupational therapist.

Contact us

Got specific questions about Peabody? We’re always happy to help.