Designed to help you protect your possessions

No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could get lost, damaged or even stolen. And if this happens, it can cost a lot of money to replace them. So it’s a good idea to take out insurance.

What is home contents insurance?

Home contents insurance is a way of making sure that if any of your personal belongings in your home get broken, lost or stolen, you’ll be able to claim back some or all of the cost of replacing them (subject to certain requirements).

You pay a certain amount each month to an insurance provider depending on where you live, the size of your home or the value of the things you want to be covered. Then, if something happens and you need to make a claim, the insurer will, subject to you meeting certain requirements, cover some or all of the cost of replacing the items.

It can also cover you if you take items out of your home, such as when you go on holiday. And usually covers your own possessions and those of close family members living with you.

You don’t have to take out home contents insurance, but if you don’t, you will have to pay to replace things if they get lost, damaged or stolen.

What if I’m renting my home?

If you rent your home, you’re likely to be responsible for covering you contents yourself. It won’t be part of the tenancy agreement. So you’ll need to take out your own insurance policy. You should also check whether you’re responsible for insuring any contents belonging to your landlord as you don’t want to end up paying the bill if something needs replacing.

How do I get insurance?

Many different organisations provide home contents insurance policies and it’s always good to shop around to find the right one for you. You can find out more by visiting comparison websites such as or

If you need some help, we’ve teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited who provide a special home contents insurance policy for tenants living in social housing.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme offers provides insurance for the contents of your home, including cover for furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

See for more information or to request a call back. There’s also a calculator to help you work out the value of your home contents. You can also call Thistle Tenant Risks directly on 0345 450 7288.

Support Finder

Support Finder is the quick and easy way to find the help you need.