Helping with noise complaints

Certain levels of noise are part of life, especially when living close to your neighbours.

It’s our job to advise you what’s considered acceptable and how to deal with noise issues that aren’t.

Before taking any action, we have to decide whether the noise is unreasonable, based on a number of factors including:

  • The duration, frequency and intensity
  • What time it occurs (reasonable hours are usually classed as 7am–11pm).
  • Whether it’s a one-off or continuing problem.
  • Whether it’s being made deliberately.

Children playing

All children need to play inside or outside of their home to have a healthy upbringing. So this isn’t considered to be antisocial behaviour. We expect people to accept this and we can’t take any action.

For more advice, please contact the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000 or by email at If you believe there’s an immediate danger contact the police on 999. Alternatively, contact your local authority child protection scheme using

Baby crying

All babies cry and often during the night. This is perfectly reasonable and not considered to be antisocial behaviour. We expect people to accept this and we can’t take any action.

If you have serious concerns for the welfare of a child, please contact the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.

General household noise

General household noise is people talking, walking about, doors and windows opening and closing, moving furniture around, washing machine, hoovering. It is not antisocial behaviour.

When living close to your neighbours, you will hear them from time to time and we expect everyone to show respect and tolerance towards each other. Unless the noise is considered to be the result of someone’s unreasonable behaviour, we won’t do anything other than offer advice about how best to deal with it.

You can try talking to your neighbours about your concerns. If you feel that the noise is excessive and at unreasonable hours, then please contact your local authority’s noise team. Their details can be found by visiting and doing a search using your postcode.

Shouting and arguing

This is only antisocial behaviour if it’s persistent or excessive. If you hear your neighbours shouting or arguing, you should try speaking to them when things have quietened down. If you’re concerned for anyone’s safety, contact the police on 101 or 999 in an emergency. You can also call the National Domestic Violence Helpline for free on 0808 2000 247. If there are children involved call the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000 or your local authority Child Protection Scheme using Please let us know as well.

Before making a report, it might be useful to consider whether this is a one-off argument or a regular occurrence. Does it sound like a disagreement between two people or is this something more concerning where someone’s safety could be at risk?

Loud music

Loud music is only antisocial behaviour if it’s persistent or excessive. One-off parties or events are acceptable. But if you think your neighbour’s music is too loud for long periods and is having an adverse effect on you, we recommend you speak to them. This is usually the quickest and simplest way to solve the problem. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this, you can contact your local authority Environmental Health Team as other residents may have complained as well.

If the situation still doesn’t improve, let us know and we’ll investigate. For your own records, it’s useful to keep a diary of what time the noise occurs and what you were doing at the time. This will be useful if we need to take action. In some cases, we’ll install noise monitoring equipment to gather more information.


Most people do DIY in their homes at some point and any related noise is not considered antisocial behaviour. Before carrying out any noisy work we suggest tenants speak to their neighbours and agree what times are best to avoid intrusion.

If you’re disturbed by DIY work, you should first speak to your neighbour as they might be able to do the work when you aren’t at home. You could also contact your local Environmental Health Team as they can advise on what’s acceptable or speak to our customer service team. You can also contact your local authority noise team. Use your postcode to find their details at

Dogs barking

Unless it’s persistent or late at night, dogs barking is not considered to be antisocial behaviour. If it’s bothering you though, you can report it to your local authority Environmental Health Team. If you’re concerned for the safety or a dog or that a dog is aggressive, please contact the RSPCA or call immediately on 0300 1234 999.

We won't investigate:

  • A one-off event.
  • The everyday use of a property (lights being switched on or off, footsteps, doors closing and opening, use of household appliances, people talking, low-level sound from TV/radio).
  • Where properties have poor sound insulation.
  • Children playing or babies crying.
  • Dogs barking (unless excessive and frequent).
  • DIY (unless outside reasonable hours).
  • Shouting or arguing (unless it’s persistent, excessive or you suspect domestic abuse).
  • When the source of the noise cannot be identified or not linked to a Peabody property.

What happens after I make a report?

If our specially trained customer services team assess that an antisocial behaviour case should be opened we'll contact you within 24 hours to find out more.

If we don’t think the disturbance meets the criteria for us to open an antisocial behaviour case we’ll provide you with a Noise Nuisance Pack with useful advice on resolving the problem yourself.

What action can Peabody take?

If we assess a noise as being unreasonable, we can:

  • Offer a mediation service between you and the person causing the disturbance.
  • Use things like official warning letters or acceptable behaviour contracts to encourage the person to change their behaviour.
  • Work with the local authority and if necessary, the police. They have powers to issue legal notices in the most serious of cases.

If, after investigation, we’re unable to deal with the problem, you can take action under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Contact us

We take antisocial behaviour very seriously and won't tolerate it in any form. If you let us know we'll do all we can to tackle it.