Houses and flats to rent

We have a range of housing options and types of tenancies for anyone looking to rent a Peabody home.

Whether you’re looking for open rent, social rent, intermediate market rent or private rent, we have it all covered.

Open market

Our market rent (open market) homes cost the same as private sector rentals in that area. Anyone who is in employment and able to show they can pay the rent can apply for a market rent home. Tenants are issued a six-month assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

Read our Market rent fact sheet (pdf, 136kb) to find out more.

We're accredited by Safeagent. It’s a government-backed scheme which makes sure that housing organisations offer clearly defined levels of customer service and standards.

Intermediate market rent

Intermediate market rents are normally 20% lower than open market rates. If you want to rent one of these homes, you’ll first need to register with Homes for Londoners.

You’ll also need to complete a financial assessment with your prospective landlord.

Read our Intermediate market rent guide (pdf, 103kb) to find out more.

We're accredited by Safeagent. It’s a government-backed scheme which makes sure that housing organisations offer clearly defined levels of customer service and standards.

Social housing

Social housing is rented from housing associations or councils at a reduced rent, or it can be part-sold, part-rented as shared ownership. It exists to help people who can’t afford to rent or buy a home on the open market.

It’s provided by:

  • Peabody – for existing tenants wishing to move to another Peabody home.
  • Your local council, who will assess your eligibility.
  • Another housing association.

Local authorities determine who’s eligible and people are prioritised according to the banding they are given.

Existing Peabody tenants who have a secure or assured tenancy agreement are also eligible (subject to lettings policy eligibility criteria). 

How do I apply?
You need to be registered with your local council so they can assess your housing need. They may house you or give you a banding and bidding number for a waiting list. If not, they’ll advise you of alternative options.

You can find out more on the government's council housing website or check out your rehousing options in our Housing options information leaflet.

Key workers

We provide affordable housing options for London key workers who don’t qualify for social housing and aren’t currently in a position to buy a home. Some of these homes are former Crown Estate properties and we call them our Regency Portfolio. We also have other properties for key workers located around London and the Home Counties. Find out more

They offer fantastic value for money, typically priced between 20%-35% less than the average market rent. They're located in vibrant communities with great transport links.

Who are key workers?
Keyworkers are public sector employees who provide a vital frontline service in areas of health, education and community safety.

Key worker employers include:

  • London NHS
  • London Local Authority Teachers
  • London Fire Brigade
  • London Ambulance Service
  • Metropolitan and City Police
  • Transport for London
  • Houses of Parliament
  • HM Prison and Probation Service.

Who can register for Peabody’s key worker scheme?
To be eligible for the scheme, you must:

  • Be a key worker employed by one of the organisations on this list. And be able to provide a letter on headed paper from your employer confirming your key worker status.
  • Be on a permanent/fixed term contract of six months or more with the employer (i.e. not on a zero-hour contract or work for an agency).
  • Be a Peabody tenant from a Regency Portfolio estate whose transfer request has been accepted.
  • Have permanent leave to stay in the UK (a copy of your documents confirming this must be included with your application).
  • Have a total household income of less than £71,000 per year if applying for a one or two-bedroom property and £85,000 for three-bedrooms or more.
  • Be unable to purchase a suitable home to meet your housing needs on the open market.
  • Not already own a home. If you do, you need to have sold it before you purchase or rent under the key worker scheme.
  • Be able to independently afford the rent without the help of any benefits.

Key worker FAQs

Our eligibility criteria may differ from other housing associations. 

If your application isn’t successful, we’ll be happy to discuss this decision and alternative housing options.

Private rent

We have a wide range of properties for private rent in a number of amazing locations.
See properties on Right Move
See properties on Zoopla