How to sublet your home

You’ll need to check your lease to see if you’re able to sublet your home.

Whether you’re able to, will depend on whether you bought your home outright or in a partnership arrangement and the rules laid down by your lender.


If you bought your home under the right-to-buyright-to-acquire or outright sales schemes or if you own all of your home, you’ll usually be able to sublet it. You’ll find details in your lease. If you’re in arrears with your service charge payments, you can’t sublet it.

Shared owners

if you bought your home through a shared ownership scheme, as per the terms of your lease, you’re not allowed to sublet your property. However, we appreciate there are exceptional circumstances, particularly if you’re affected by building safety issues, so we’re happy to review requests on a case-by-case basis. Please note that all requests must have the support of the mortgage lender and should not be for financial gain. 


If you’re a tenant, you’ll need to check your tenancy agreement to see whether you’re allowed to take a lodger.

  • Starter tenants aren’t allowed to take on a lodger or rent out any part of their property
  • Assured tenants can make a written request to take on a lodger
  • Secure tenants may take on a lodger but are asked to notify us for our records

How to sublet your home

First you’ll need to get written permission from us. (We’ll charge a fee to deal with the request). You’ll also need to get permission in writing from your mortgage company and check your home content insurance will still be valid.

Please note if you sublet your home without our written permission, you’re breaking the terms and conditions of your lease and we may have to take legal action against you. 

Your subtenant

Your subtenant must sign an assured shorthold tenancy agreement, which lasts for at least six months. This should cover the same clauses as your lease, so the tenant is required to meet the same conditions as you, e.g. concerning noise nuisance. You should include a clause which allows you to give two months' notice that you plan to end the tenancy.

What you’ll need to give us:

  • a copy of the shorthold tenancy agreement you have with your tenant
  • the letter from your mortgage company giving you permission to sublet
  • a contact number for the subtenant
  • the address, phone number and email address we can contact you on in an emergency
  • the details of your letting agent, if you have one

If you’re eligible to sublet, please contact us for more information.

Contact us

Got specific questions about Peabody? We’re always happy to help.