How we can help with noise complaints.

Want to report noise nuisance?

Before taking any action, we have to decide whether the noise is unreasonable, based on a number of factors including:

  • the duration, frequency and intensity
  • what time it occurs ("reasonable hours" are usually classed as 7am–11pm)
  • whether it is a one-off or continuing problem
  • whether it is being made deliberately

Types of noise and how to report it

We won't investigate

  • a one-off event
  • the everyday use of a property (lights being switched on or off, footsteps,
    doors closing and opening, use of household appliances, people talking,
    low-level sound from TV/radio)
  • where properties have poor sound insulation

What happens after I make a report?

We'll contact you within five working days to find out more. We may need you to:

  • keep records of the noise
  • let us visit your property so we can witness the noise or set up noise monitoring equipment
  • provide witness statements and be willing to provide evidence in court

What action can Peabody Group take?

If we assess a noise as being unreasonable, we can:

  • offer a mediation service between you and the perpetrator
  • use our tools to encourage the perpetrator to change their behaviour (official warning letters, acceptable behaviour contracts)
  • work with the police and council to issue notices, seize equipment and prosecute if a notice is breached
  • we may seek to evict a perpetrator from their property, but this will only be in the most persistent and serious cases

If, after investigation, we are unable to deal with the problem, you can take action under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.