dad and his three daughters

Information for our residents.

It can be confusing trying to figure out which repairs you're responsible for, so we clarify this here.  If you have any further questions, please contact us You can also refer to your lease if you're a leaseholder.

Tenant repair responsibilities

As your landlord we are responsible for some repairs to your property; however some of these responsibilities are with you the resident. To get clarity, take a look at our table which specifies what you are responsible for:

Tenant repair responsibilities (pdf, 215kb)

If you, or a member of your household, have actually caused damage, the repair will be your responsibility. If we do carry out work, which may happen in an emergency or other exceptional situation, you will be charged for it.

Key worker and market rent residents' responsibilities

If you’re a key worker or rent from us at market rent rates, we’re responsible for keeping the structure and exterior of your premises in good repair and for ensuring that any installations we’ve provided are in working order.

External and structural repairs

Our repair responsibilities for market rent and/or key workers include:

  • drains, gutters and external pipes
  • the roof
  • outside walls, outside doors, window sills, window catches, sash cords and window frames including necessary external painting and decorating
  • communal area internal walls, floors and ceilings, doors and door frames, door hinges and skirting boards
  • chimneys, chimney stacks and flues (not including sweeping)
  • pathways, steps or other means of access
  • plaster work
  • integral garages and stores
  • boundary walls and fences excluding dividing fences between neighbours (please refer to the Building Maintenance Duty Surveyor for any additional clarity on ownership/responsibilities).
  • replacement of carpets and window coverings provided by us.

Leaseholder repairs

We don’t usually have any repair obligations for the interior of leaseholder properties. All obligations concerning repairs are laid out in your lease and you should always check this before contacting us about a repair.  

As a landlord, however, we are generally responsible for some repair and maintenance for the structure of the building, communal areas, and communal systems. These include repairs to:

The structure of the building

  • roof repairs
  • rainwater pipes and gutters
  • external drains
  • damp-proofing works
  • brickwork
  • floor joists

Communal systems 

  • door entry systems
  • district heating
  • communal TV aerials

Communal areas

If in doubt about who is responsible for what, please check your lease. There is also more information here.


Our freeholders are generally responsible for all external and internal repairs to their homes/buildings.

Need to report a repair?

Report a repair