Tips from Dapo: winter crime prevention
Advice from our Crime Prevention Officer.
"Winter is fast approaching and we are having longer nights and darker days," says Dapo Odeleye, our Crime Prevention Officer. "Here are some crime prevention tips to help keep your home and belongings safe."
- Don’t forget to draw curtains and blinds when you are not at home
- Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you return home. Proper lighting in your home is a good deterrent to burglars as it shows that someone is at home
- Make sure your windows are fitted with a good lock appropriate for the window type
- Do not assume you are only going out for a few minutes, always remember to close and lock all your doors and windows
- Do not display your possessions such as valuables, house or car keys near the windows or other areas where they can be easily seen
- Do not leave house keys in or near the door as they can get removed through the letterbox
- If you have a garden, keep your garden furniture and other properties in the garden locked up in the shed or a in a safe place
- Making your front garden tidy and secure could prevent an intruder from entering your home or hiding in the garden
- Always check who’s at the door and don’t open it if you feel anxious
- Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time